Memoirs of a Dog Walker

pet sitting 101. it's not as easy as it seems.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suburbia, New York, United States

Dog Walking and Pet Sitting and dancing my way thru the day.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Things That Suck

It's a great job, and I feel fortunate to be a pet sitter.
There are, however, three aspects of pet sitting that suck big time.

1. Rain. I don't mind the rain so much. I have invested in a good raincoat and boots. What sucks is the heavy rain, because no amount of rain gear will keep you totally dry. Not to mention that wet dogs don't smell as good as a dry one.

2. Death. Pets die. it's an unfortunate truth. And when the pets die, I cry, right along with the owners.

3. Anally Retentive Homeowners. Every once in awhile, you get that person who stands and stares at you, with a look that could kill, because they don't want a dog to walk on thier lawn. This is probably the most frustrating part of being a dog walker. The first two things can't be helped. They are acts of God. But dog-hating homeowners?!!! What really gets to me is when they yell at you to keep the dog off thier grass, when they are dog owners themselves. I feel sorry for thier pets. What a miserable person it is who won't let a dog walk on thier grass. Do you think at the end, when all is said and done, that God gives a crap whether you have the nicest lawn in the neighborhood? Last week I was walking a senior citizen dog. It was the end of the walk, and we were almost home. The dog was walking on some homeowner's grass, smelled something, and decided to leave his mark. For goodness sake, it was the END of our walk--he had already peed, so he was only marking his scent by leaving about a teaspoonfull. The homeowner says to me "There goes my nice green lawn!" FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!!!!! Somebody tell this guy that one teaspoon of dog piss is not gonna burn his entire lawn up. By the way, his lawn wasn't so great to start with, and it wasn't because of dogs relieving themselves on his property.
HELP! What can one say to the mean old men and women out there who complain of a little dog piss, or some poop that gets scooped? or the meanies that don't even want the dog to walk on thier lawn? I haven't figured this one out yet, so if you have any ideas, I am open to suggestions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home