Memoirs of a Dog Walker

pet sitting 101. it's not as easy as it seems.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suburbia, New York, United States

Dog Walking and Pet Sitting and dancing my way thru the day.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

One Spot's Big Adventure




One Spot got his name from the breeder, because he had one spot on his nose.
I always liked that name, but it's not always what i call him. I call him Spotly, or Old Man.

I've been walking him for about 5 years. He has moved since when I first started walking him. His prior house had a hill we would go up on our walks. There was a time, after my lung surgery, when the doctors pretty much said I was terminally ill, when that hill was really difficult for me to walk. One Spot was my "yellow energy" (coined from a Gavin DeGraw song) and helped me get up that hill, when all I wanted to do was go home and go to sleep.

Then there was the day of the really big blizzard. One Spot's dad had gone to work, but his sister (the human) was home from school, and had friends over. Someone must've left a door open, and before you knew it, One Spot was off on his big adventure. He walked out of the house and all around town, until some kindly pet person took him in and called his home to say they had him. When I went to pick him up, he was so happy to see me, he "kissed" me. It was the only time he ever kissed a girl, I think (at least me!).
Somewhere in this blog is an entry about him being my hero. That was a day he peed on a kids school bag in the park, which I want to believe was because the kids were really messing up the park with their garbage.

He's an old man now, can barely walk. It's sad to see them grow old. He has a depressed look about him, and sometimes very confused. A bit of Alzheimers maybe.
And he has an appointment with the vet on Tuesday for "the shot."

It hurts alot, and sometimes I wonder why I am doing this job. Working with animals can be very rewarding, but it hurts so freaking much to say goodbye.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One Spot is having a good time in Heaven and wante do thank you for your friendship, the two treats, and all the times you helped him up. It's what friends do, help each other up.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home