Memoirs of a Dog Walker

pet sitting 101. it's not as easy as it seems.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suburbia, New York, United States

Dog Walking and Pet Sitting and dancing my way thru the day.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

February Blues



Not a great month for me, as a pet sitter.

One client called to tell me her dog had died overnight. I had to go over and help her with getting the dog to the vet for creamation. It was a 50 pound dog, with rigamortis. I had to get a neighbor to help me get the dog down the stairs, as the client was a bit elderly with a bad shoulder.

Another client's dog was diagnosed with leukemia. She got the diagnosis on her birthday, while her husband and children were out of the house. I went over and sat (and cried) with her until they returned home. She calls with updates. The dog is getting chemotherapy. They have not diagnosed the kind of leukemia, but it is stage four, which means it has srpead to the bone marrow.

Still anotehr client just had thier dog diagnosed with stomach cancer. He was rescued from a very abusive and neglected situation, and is lucky enough to live out his remaining days in a wonderful loving household. (Clue is pictured above.)

Lastly, I have a pregnant client, who had 3 cats, recently down to one. The two that died, died withing a few months of each other, and both were too young to die. The client has OCD, and is off her medication until after her baby is born. She finds herself obsessing about the remaining cat's health. I have tried to support her, and encourage her that her remaining cat is OK.

I do my best to support my clients in times of pet crisis. I love thier pets too! And I cry right along with them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home