Memoirs of a Dog Walker

pet sitting 101. it's not as easy as it seems.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suburbia, New York, United States

Dog Walking and Pet Sitting and dancing my way thru the day.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

somedays it's not good to get out of bed

Before I was a professional dog walker/pet sitter, I worked in a dental office and babysat for extra income. I still do some work for some of those families, mostly to help them chauffer a kid around when they can't. What I do to pay the rent!
This morning was one of those days. I picked up a kid at 6:45 am to take him to a hockey practice up in Elmsford, about a 20 mile drive north. Usually I drop him and hang out and read for an hour, but this morning I was hungry. I went to the local diner for breakfast.
On the way back to the skating rink, I stopped to fill my tank with gas.
I couldn't get the car re-started.
It was raining.
I asked a man for help. He convienantly worked for a towing company/car repair place, so I called in for assistance. They couldn't help. Too busy today, they said. He tried to jump my car, but that wasn't the problem. I didn't think it was.
Now I am on my own.
Tried calling the skating rink so they could inform the kid I was going to be late. Tried calling everyone I knew that might be of help. No one was answering. I called my mechanic down in Pelham, closer to home. Made arrangements to get my car towed, but I still had to get the car moved the hundred feet, away from the gas pump and into the parking area. I must've asked five or six guys, who all looked like they could bench press 150 pounds with one hand tied behind thier back, and not one of them would help me. Not one of them could take five minutes to help a grey haired middle aged woman. Gee, thanks, misters!
I finally found a guy willing to help, we got the car moved. It got a little hairy at one point. it had to go a little uphill, and we were pushing with everything we had. There were two people watching us, but no one offered to help out. Unbelievable. Finally, antoehr man saw us, and gave us the last push we needed to get the car the 8 feet more....

Finally, I got ahold of someone with a car, to pick up me and the kid, and all his stinky hocky equipment. They were kind enough to drop me at my local Enterprise Car Rental place.
About this time, I realised I had left some very important client keys that I needed in my broken down car.... I called the mechanic and asked him to call me when my car got there, so I could swing by for the keys.

I farmed out one of my dog walks this morning, cancelled another. Got to my 10:00 dog on time, just a little late....
Got the call from my mechanic that my car was at the shop. Got the needed keys.
Ran over to Yonkers for the cat call I was supposed to do this morning. Walked in, and once again found glass all over the floor, this time in the kitchen. That's twice in two weeks a shelf in that house came down, leaving broken glass everywhere for me to clean. My car was parked illegally, thinking this would be a quick stop. Now I am worried I am going to get a ticket or towed. I gotta rush it. I got dogs waiting. I cut myself twice, picking up glass. Now I have blood everywhere as well. I can't leave with glass on the floor.

The day's not over yet. I still have a couple of dogs to walk. I hope my car will be repaired tonight so I don't get a car rental fee for a second day. That means I have to get the rental back, hope they can drop me at the mechanics, and get to the dogs again.

By the way, it was the starter that was bad. I kinda figured that. Including towing and car rental, I figure it's going to be close to $600.

I distinctly remember telling the kid this morning on the way to his hockey practice that it would be a good day to stay in bed today. Who knew how right I was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home