Memoirs of a Dog Walker

pet sitting 101. it's not as easy as it seems.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suburbia, New York, United States

Dog Walking and Pet Sitting and dancing my way thru the day.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Praying for Pee Once Again



Last April, Grumpy got blocked. Basically, that means he can't pee.
In most cases, that is due to crystals in the urine that clog up the urethra, and is due to diet. In Grumpy's case, it was due to a muscle spasm. In other words, he got scared to death.

It happened again, and Friday I noticed him spending more time in the kitty litter box. Like any good mother, I could tell he was uncomfortable. Off we went to the vet, and sure enough, he was blocked again.
And sure enough, it is a muscle spasm again.

Being a high strung cat, they catheterized him, and we decided the best course of treatment is to keep him on a muscle relaxer long term.
The catheter was removed this morning, and we wait for him to pee on his own before I could take him home. Problem is, he didn't pee on his own.

While I was expecting to take him home today, he has to stay an extra night, and be closely monitored. He could re-block, and need the catheter again.
Tomorrow I wait for the vet's recommendations. I have to consider surgery.

Surgery would remove his penis and give him "girlie parts."
We are trying to avoid that.
I really can't afford that, but I refuse to put him down because he can't pee. He is only seven years old, and the prognosis is good. We just have to get him in a good place with his health.

PRAY FOR PEE!
He is a cute guy, and I am madly in love with him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home